Friday, November 6, 2020

One Exercise, Full Body Workout

What if I told you there is one exercise you can do to get a full body workout? Would you think I was crazy? Yes! The One Exercise, Full body Workout is.... the BURPEE! That amazingly horrible workout that no one likes to do. Perhaps you hate burpees simply because of their difficulty level. 

Disclaimer: Only do burpees if you are in appropriate shape, can maintain good form and ensure you will not injure yourself. 

Why Burpees?

In short, burpees offer an explosive full body workout that can be performed anywhere, anytime with zero equipment. 

What muscles are worked in a burpee?

This question has many different answers. Different muscles will be worked depending on the type of burpee you do. Of course there are multiple types of burpees, fitness people love adding little tweaks to every exercise to up that difficulty level. The main muscles worked as described by ExRx.net include:
  • Erector spinae to extend the thoracic and lumbar spine
  • Iliopsoas, tensor fasciae latae
  • and rectus femoris to extend the hips
  • Quadriceps to extend the knees
  • Calf muscles, including both the gastrocnemius and soleus to achieve plantar flexion of the ankle

Burpee Variations

So you're doing burpees everyday! Good for you! How do you take it to the next level?

My Preferred Burpee

Every day I do at least 30 burpees, 3 sets of 10. When I do my burpees I follow a few steps.
  1. Lay flat on the floor, get ready to do a push up
  2. Perform a push up
  3. Pull my knees into my chest, land with my toes under my core
  4. Explode my body up into a standing position
  5. Jump as high as possible
  6. Return to a standing position
  7. Place my hands on the floor
  8. Kick my legs back
  9. Slowly lower my body until I am laying flat on the floor ready to do a push up

No comments:

Post a Comment