Tuesday, September 7, 2021

4 Tips to Start Losing Weight

 4 Tips to Start Losing Weight

I wanted to write a post geared towards everyone who is moderately overweight. This is for people who want to lose weight but struggle to make it to the gym. This may be because you have a busy life, have certain financial constraints, or you really hate working out! These 4 Tips to Start Losing Weight can be used by anyone!

1. Stop Dieting

This seems counter intuitive, we diet to lose weight! Why would I give up my super awesome paleo, keto gluten free super restrictive diet? Diets are hard thinking of going keto? Be prepared to never eat fruits or veggies. Carnivore diet? Give up all sources of carbs, cakes, cookies, rice, cereal, etc. etc. Rather than sticking to a super strict diet I would prefer to see someone exercising portion control. Lets assume you have ice cream as a before bed snack. I would never tell you to stop having your favorite snack. I would say to cut back. Instead of having two scoops of ice cream, have one scoop. 
If you are home alone and board, you want some chips to crunch on. Get your chips but do not take the entire bag. Measure out one cup of your favorite chips and bring that with you to the couch. This has two benefits. You are likely to eat fewer chips because there are fewer chips around! Also leading into my next point, if you want more chips, you have to get up and walk to the bag!

2. Increase Energy Expenditure

This one is simple, all it means is move more! If you have a desk job get up once an hour and go to the bathroom. Whether you have to pee or not, go for that walk!
When you park at the grocery store stop searching for the closest parking spot. Park at the end of the row. Force yourself to take a few extra steps.
Keeps your hands busy. The more you move the more calories you burn. If you can fidget with your fingers, tap your feet or just move in small ways you will burn more calories throughout the day!


3. Turn off Social Media

I fall into this trap all the time. I wonder why, with all my hard work do I not look like the Instagram models? Why are my muscles not bulging. Why is my stomach not flat and toned? Then I remember I work 7 days a week. I sit at a desk 40 hours a week. I like cake, I do not take performance enhancers and when I workout it is for fun and health not necessary for aesthetics! Once you stop comparing yourself to the influencers you will feel better about yourself. 
Stop trying to be as good as the influencer, as long as you are better tomorrow than you are today, you will see progress!


4. Track your Goals

Set some goals and track them. The more you track your goals the more aware you are of you decisions. For every choice you have to make, you can ask yourself. Does this take me to, or from my goals?
Some easy goals to start with are:
  • Weight
  • Number of steps in a day
  • Number of exercises in a week
  • Amount of calories eaten in a day
A simple example is to set a goal to lose 30 pounds. How will you do this? Start with taking 5000 steps a day, workout at least twice a week and cut daily caloric intake by 250 calories.  

No comments:

Post a Comment